Our other apps
Sound Studio 4
editing and effects
5k workout program
C64 Paint XL
8-bit paint program
for iPad and iPhone
Tuna Pitch is a chromatic tuner and pitch pipe for your musical instrument. It works with stringed instruments, brass, winds, as well as your voice.
The tuner works with the built-in microphone on the iPhone, and with any audio that comes in from an external source, such as the microphone on a headset, on the iPhone and iPod touch second generation. The built-in pitch pipe lets you play a reference tone for tuning by ear.
For best results, plug in a headset with a microphone and position the mic close to the instrument. Then pluck a string with your finger. The level meter should light up when it detects a signal, and if the same pitch is held for long enough, the confidence meter will light up. The target ball should grow bigger, and when it is positioned in the center, your note is in tune. If you are too high or too sharp, the ball will show up towards the top of the screen, and if you are too low or flat, it will be near the bottom.
For guitars and other similar instruments, it is best to "Tighten UP," which means you first loosen the string below the pitch you want, and then tighten the peg to the desired tuning.
I love this app! Blows away any of the other tuners on the app store. Just as accurate as
my inline Korg Pitchblack!
As an inexpensive app, this is eyecatching, though I had to wrestle with which guitar et
al. tuner on the app store because some look more stylish. I made the choice to get this because it is a
chromatic tuner, not ONLY a pitch pipe; also it is relatively the cheapest tuner that includes other
instruments (personally used the ukelele tuner already, and may use the banjo tuner soon) alternate
guitar tuning. The program is very responsive and registers all notes exactly; I tested the tuner with
my E tuning fork and it was perfect!
— Tom Pace
- Chromatic tuner detects pitch automatically.
- Uses the built-in microphone on the iPhone.
- Can use a headset or other external microphone.
- Select from 5 different notation systems & whether to use sharps or flats.
- Pitch pipes play tones for tuning by ear.
- Select from 17 different instrument tunings.
- Select from 4 different tones on the pitch pipe.
- Quick, responsive level and confidence meters give instant feedback.
- Accuracy of ±0.1 cent (100 cents = 1 semitone).
- Note name and detected audio frequency display.
- Cents and percent out of tune display.
- Customizable A4 in 0.05 Hz increments. For example, Mozart A4 = 432 Hz.
- Twelve-tone equal temperament tuning.
- Supports upside-down display rotation.
- Real-world tested on pianos, guitars, and other instruments.
Notation systems include:
- English (C-D-E-F-G-A-B) with sharps or flats
- Fixed Do Solfège (Do-Re-Mi)
- French (Ut-Re-Mi)
- Movable Do Solfège rising (Do-Di-Re-Ri)
- Movable Do Solfège descending (Do-Ra-Re-Me)
- Northern European -is (C-Cis-D-Dis)
- Northern European -es (C-Des-D-Es)
Preset tunings include:
- Guitar: Standard, Dropped D, Dropped C, Open G, and Open D.
- Bass Guitar.
- Mandolin and Ukulele.
- Banjo: Open G, Early, G Modal, Double C, Old-time D, and Open D.
- Cello, Viola, and Violin.
- Any instrument can be tuned with the chromatic tuner.